Having a hard time to come up with a pet name that's cute yet unique?
You would want to aim for a name which is both unique and personifies the temperament of your cat. Cats have personalities which are somewhat distinctive.
Finding a name that not only sounds beautiful, but suits your cat's personality is important.
If you are determined to find a beautiful and special name for your new feline friend, Irish cat names are a creative way to go. Irish society adorns a host of stunning names that are meaningful and beautiful.
The Irish heritage, its famous Irish cream, and the famous Irish whiskey are only some ideas when deciding upon the name of your feline.
Check out our awesome list of some adorable Irish names that are sure to make you spoiled for choice. We list out some fun Irish names for your cat in a comprehensive list. We have segregated the cat names into male cats, female cats, black cats, orange cats, and funny cat names.
Let's dive in.
Female Irish Cat Names
Male Irish Cat Names
- Darcy – Dark
- Eamon – Guardian of the riches
- Quigley – Shaggy
- Pierce – Rock
- Mal – Chief
- Carney – Victorious
- Hurley – Sea tide
- Godfrey – Peace from God
- Tierney – Lord, master
- Goídel – Mythological creator of Goidelic languages
- Tyrell – Tyr, Norse god of battle
- Cillian – Battle
- Rafferty – Prosperous
- Raghnall – Strong
- Conan – Little wolf
- Sean – God’s grace
- Donovan – Little dark prince
- Ronan – Little seal
- Fintan – From Fintan mac Bóchra, mythological seer
- Haley – Clever
- Finley – Fair hero
- Fionn – Fair or white
- Kieran – Dark-haired
- Eoin – God’s gift
- Doyle – Dark stranger
- Carraig – Rock
- Finnegan – Fair or white
- Rys – Enthusiasm
- Padraig – Noble
- Aidan – Flame
- Scully – Herald
- Lugh – Warrior god, father of Cú Chulainn
- Aengus – Strong- god of love and youth
- Phelan – Joyful
- Colm – Dove
- Cían – Ancient- Lugh’s father in Irish mythology
- Abban – Abbot
- Nolyn – Noble
- Niall – Champion
- Keenan – Ancient
- Eimhin – Swift
- Ualtar – Fighter
Funny Irish Cat Names
- Fin MacCool
Irish Names For Orange Cats
- Rory – Red king
- Roisin – Little rose
- Aidan – Little fire
- Flynn – Son of the red-haired one
- Clancy – Red-haired warrior
- Aurora – Red king
- Flana or Flannery – Red-skinned
Irish Names For Black Cats
- Kieran - Dark and Black Haired
- Donovan - Dark Little Prince
- Darcy - Dark Color
- Dubheasa - Dark Beauty
- Ciara - Dark Haired
- Darcelle - Darl Color
- Dublin - A Black Pool
- Kira - Black Color
- Doyle - Dark Colored Stranger
- Duvessa - Dark Beauty
Cat Names Inspired By Irish Cities
- Wexford (located in southeast Ireland)
Cat Name Inspiration
In the right way, a cat name inspiration can be drawn from a variety of data around us.
Using the cat breed as a parameter is a common aspect of naming your cat. There are other forms of inspiration, which could range from naming cats after the name of a city, food or heritage. Cartoon and animated characters are other popular choices.
Ireland, with some of the largest cities, Irish culture are some great examples of choice when it comes to picking a name for your cat. Other popular choices include Northern Ireland and Southeast Ireland, specially known for their beautiful towns and cities.
A common misconception is the fact that cats do not remember their names, so why bother to keep a name at all?
This is an absolute wrong conception. Cats not only remember their names, but also respond to it. They do require a certain amount of time and training getting used to the name. But once they do, they will respond to it.
Help Choosing The Right Name
Some common factors to be kept in mind when choosing a name for your cat include:
- The length of the name. Long titles must be minimized, even in situations where the truncated form is used almost every day. Cats do not interpret words like humans, so a short name remains important, so they understand the overall voice.
- Wait until you know your cat. I mean, you can't help but draw up a list of potential pretty names for cats. Not until you get the thrilling news of a new arrival in the household, but it simply doesn't work this route. A mere glance is appropriate occasionally and you realize that the name "David" doesn't fit him, but maybe "Lazy". It should be noted that the personality of the cat plays a big role when it comes to choosing its name.
- Do not subject to mistaken interpretation. The name chosen does not correspond with other household members' identities, or pets who are already at home. You would annoy the cat. Because everybody needs a correct and unique initial name, you would have very little regard from him/her.
- Another important aspect of choosing a name for your cat would be to avoid using command words. These would include small command words like stop, go, etc as that may confuse the cat.
- Another important aspect of choosing the name for your cat is to make it a family affair. Include everybody in the process. There is no bad idea when it comes to choosing a name. Even the little ones of the family can come up with a unique name, so involve all.
In conclusion, cat names are a way of personalizing and ensuring that your pet is a part of the family. It is a family affair and ideally should involve everybody. Cats make ideal urban pets for our society.
Need more inspiration? Check our list of cat name posts here or take a look at the related section below.